The name of the church in Wietzendorf traces back to the biblical apostel Jacob the eldest, who was one of the loyal followers of Jesus. The beginning of the parish in Wietzendorf goes back to the missionary Landolf, who reached the Wietze via the river Aller, to build a chapel in one of the graves that was sanctified Hertha.
The church at present was built in the neogothic style by Conrad Wilhelm Hase. The building expenses amounted to roughly 53,000 “Reichsmark”. On the out- and inside, the church shows characteristics of a mature style: simplicity, balance and the architect's affinity for simple materials such as brick and wood, demonstrating a predominant orientation in North German examples of the late brick gothic. The structure of the church marks a triple nave with four yokes, a transept and a 5/8 choir extension. The nave running along the middle is higher and distinctively wider than the side naves. The transept is also highlighted, with its yoke being one third wider than the other three running lenghtways.
The Steeple and Bells
The wooden steeple of 1746 is still in use. It contains three large bells. One of these, the oldest, was made in 1564 by a travelling bell-founder. The inscription reads: “Anno 1564 gos mich Valtein Brom zu Witzendorp zu der Zeit do Carsten Siverden, Heinrich zu Redinck, Micchel zum Broke Kercksworen waren“. In 1970 and 1972 respectively, the other two bells replaced a pair of bells made in the 18th century.
The bronze baptisual font is a very precious, early work of the Middle Ages, dated between 1365 and 1370. It was manufactured in the town of Lüneburg and was probably a present of the families, whose heraldic figures are placed on the side of the baptisual font.
In 1957 the choir room was redesigned by church painter Rudolf Schäfer. The original look of the church was much plainer. The paintings at the left and the right of the chancel represent Easter and Christmas. The paintings on the ceiling above the chancel refer to the messianic promise of the prophet Isaiah and to the manifestation of John: God's lamb, the miraculous council, etc. The large crucifix was also created by Rudolf Schäfer.
The pulpit of 1876 is fascinating by the quality of it's woodwork and the representative painting which shows the four evangelists Matthew, Marcus, Luke and John. On top of the hexagon pulpit there is a lid which amplifies the sound of the speaker.
The organ too was made in 1876. It was built by Gustav Carl Engelhardt from Herzberg/Harz. It is an organ working mechanically with at least 1049 pipes, which are spread on three different organ parts.