In a central position of Wietzendorf one will find the so called Peetshof, which holds 11,000 square metres of land. It was built in 1874 and is still in it's original condition. The acquisition of the farm by the community of Wietzendorf in 1987 brought changes of cultural and political importance on a regional level. The Peetshof was restored and equiped step by step with antique furniture and utensils, which preoccupied the daily rural life around the 1900. Which is why, today, there is a peasant museum, an agriculutural museum, a museum of peat and a museum of bee-farming. Several Events like the summer festival organized by an association called Heimatverein are the annual highlights at the Peetshof.
The Main building
The main building was erected in 1874 as a so called Vierständehaus. The gable end of the dwelling is faced with wooden caskets, which on one hand serve as weather protection, and on the other hand as an imitation of a square stinefront. Another indication demonstrating the desire to show off prosperity is the entry of the dwelling, facing the street. The main hall today is a place to meet, destined for all kinds of events. Several rooms of the Peetshof were established as part of the farmers' museum with the help of a wide range of exhibits from about 1900. The tourist information is located at the ground-floor of the house. The loft has accommodated the Music Union and the society of the farmers' youth. Plus, there are some exhibition rooms dealing with the history of Wietzendorf, which you will also find in the loft of the Peetshof.
The sty, built in 1888, was renovated by the Heimatverein Peetshof in 1991. Today, the sty contains a kitchen for the annual slaughter festival, a workshop and a garage. In addition to that, the old pigsties still exists.
The renovation of the barn from 1876 was carried out in 1993. The former 110 square metre concessionary has been occupied by the caretakers since 1992. In the barn you can find an exhibition with agricultural machines and devices.
The horse-capstan, which is also known as the Göpel, served as a power unit for the threshing machine or the malt mill in former days. It was run by the tractive force of a horse, walking around in circles. Later it was displaced by electric motors.
The stair-loft was built in 1871 with protruding rafter-roofs and a planked framework. People used to store grain in it. In two of the lower rooms, an exhibition informs about bee-keeping in the heathland, today and in the past. In the third room, you can find an exhibition about the bog-land and the heath.
The bakery (house) of the Peetshof was built in 1648 but destroyed at the end of the 19th century. The new bakery was created by personal contribution of the Peetshof Association in 1995. Results of the agricultural museum in Hösseringen and old submittals were the basis of this construction. Today, several times a year, bread is made in the oven in the way farmers used to bake it in former days.
The Farmers' garden
The farmers' garden was layouted by old submittals, and today, the Peetshof Association takes care of it with great passion.
The Sheep Stables
The sheep stables were removed off the Peetshof in 2002 by the “Beschanshof” in the town of Halmern. The still-existing part is dated from the 17th century. At the Peetshof, the sheep stables were rebuilt and completed in the summer of 2002. In former days, sheep were kept in the stables during winter-time. Today, they are also used for events held by the Peetshof. So occasionally, when farmers gather to show their "Heidschnucken", a rare breed of heathland sheep, the stables are taken back to their glory days.